Competing in my first pageant this year, I learned a lot about how to do Miss USA pageant hair, how to do pageant makeup, how to walk on stage, how to model in photo shoots, and more. I did not realize how much time and dedication it takes to master all of this, but like anything, it seems easier looking in from the outside.
Today I want to share with you how to do Miss USA pageant hair. Here are some of the tips and tricks I learned from the extremely talented hairdresser, Chad Seale, who is the hair sponsor for the winner of Miss Utah USA.
- Make Sure You Have the Right Tools
- My favorite curling iron: Hot Tools Professional Spring 1.5″ Curling Iron (Only $29.99 on Image Beauty)Some girls go for even tighter curls, using a 1.25″ barrel, but the 1.5″ is my favorite for some great, bouncy curls.
- Two boxes of hair styling clips
- Flex-hold hairspray: I like to go to Sally’s and find one of their flex-hold hairsprays, something that will not make your curls crunchy
- Heat the curling iron up to about 380 degrees. You do not want to heat it up more than that because it will damage your hair.
- Start sectioning off your hair, starting from the top right and working backward, making sure to curl the front of your hair first. Take small sections and work to curl the hair away from your face, then secure it with a clip at your scalp.
- Once you have curled a good section of your hair, use your hairspray to secure the curl.
- When all your hair is curled and in clips, use your hairspray once more and wait for all the curls to set, until none of them are warm anymore. The longer they set, the better the curl and the longer it will stay.
- Start letting out the curls one by one.
- Once all the clips are out of your hair, then you can add some volume and rat your hair at the roots.
- Flip your hair upside down and spray your hair at the roots for an extra lift.
And there you have it! Great Miss USA hair, ready for a day at the pageant!